Dr. Irwin’s Professional Career
Dr. Irwin has been a guest medical expert on The Oprah Winfrey Show and the Weekend Today Show.
She is the author of The Surgery-Free Makeover (Da Capo 2008) and Your Best Face: Looking Your Best Without Plastic Surgery (Hay House, 2002).
Dr. Irwin has been quoted or cited in the national press from the Associated Press and Allure to Selfmagazine. Seattle Magazine has three times named her one of Seattle’s best dermatologists based on a poll of 2,500-area doctors.
Dr. Irwin is one of the few prominent cosmetic dermatologists who does not represent any skin care product lines, cosmetic companies, or device manufacturers. She has no financial ties to any of those companies, and she gives unbiased information and opinions.
Dr. Irwin practices medical and cosmetic dermatology at the clinic she founded in 1999, Madison Skin & Laser Center in Seattle. She is regarded as one of the most skilled cosmetic dermatologists in the country, and is an expert injector of Sculptra, Botox, Restylane, and Juvederm. She has worked with lasers and laser technology since its introduction to cosmetic dermatology in the 1990s.
Dr. Irwin holds board certification in both internal medicine and dermatology, and is a member of the International Society of Laser Surgeons, the American Academy of Dermatology, and many other professional associations.
She was graduated with honors (AOA) from the University of Washington Medical School in 1984 and did residencies in both internal medicine and dermatology there as well. She received one of the few National Dermatology Foundation Research Fellowship Awards in 1990, and has been a clinical faculty member at the University of Washington. She enjoys time with her husband and three children, fitness, cooking, and traveling.
Dr. Irwin’s Personal Story
Many people have asked me how I got interested in skin in the first place. I grew up in a small, rainy, lumber town in southwest Washington State – a lot like the town in the Twighlight books and movies (Forks, Washington). Ok, it was a little bigger than that but not much!
Like most teenagers, I would fry my skin in summer when we had sun, and had the usual acne problems. Later on, I was too busy studying to spend much time outside in the sun. In medical school, I thought at first that cardiology and neurosurgery were the most interesting, but then did a dermatology elective and realized that the skin is an amazingly complex and versatile organ. And even more, you can see it…which means you can tell more easily what is hapening when you are treating it.
Since that time, it has only gotten more interesting because not only do we know more about skin diseases and skin health, but the technology to improve skin has exploded. It makes for an ever-changing skin landscape which is always interesting to me. I hope you enjoy SkinTour! ~Dr. Irwin
Dr. Irwin’s Curriculum Vitae
- Dermatology, 1991 (recertified 2011)
- Internal Medicine, 1987
Honors and Awards
- Dermatology Foundation Leaders Society, 2002-Present
- Appearance on Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss aging skin
- Appearance on Weekend Today show to discussing aging skin
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- National Dermatology Foundation Research Fellowship Award, 2990
- Seattle Magazine, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006 top dermatologist in the Puget Sound area.
- 2005-2009 Numerous conferences, teaching and preceptorships
- 2000-2005 ASDS Meetings, AAD Meetings, International Conference on Aging Skin (Paris), Individual Preceptorships
- 2000 Preceptorship EpiTouch Alexandrite Laser Workship (Los Gattos, CA)
- 1999 Multi-Light Inservice (Seattle, WA)
- 1999 Multi-Light Preceptorship (Los Gattos, CA)
- 1996 UCSF Course: Techniques for facial rejuvenation
- 1995 Coherent CO2 UltraPulse Training Course (Seattle)
- 1995 Scripp’s Institute/La Jolla Two Day Preceptor Course with Dr. Richard Fitzpatrick
- 1993 Stanford Laser Course
- 1993-Present Use of YAG, Candela, Multi-Light, Alexandrite, Epi-Touch, Erbium and CO2 Ultra Pulse lasers, Elos and Thermage Radiofrequency
- The Surgery Free Makeover: All You Need to Know for Great Skin and a Younger Face. DaCapo 2008.
- Your Best Face: Looking Your Best Without Plastic Surgery. Hay House 2002.
- 1991-2004 Clinical Instructor, Division of Dermatology. Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 1990-1991 Professor (full-time), Division of Dermatology. Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- 1980-1984 University of Washington, Seattle, WA. M.D.
- American Society of Dermatologist Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- International Society for Cosmetic Laser Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine
- Seattle Dermatologist Society
- King County Medical Society
- Washington State Dermatologic Society
State of Licensure
- Washington: MD-0023014