Brown spots that appear after acne breakouts – what is causing these and how to treat.
I do have some ideas! Here are some things to think about and do. Generally:
- Depending on where you live, brown spots after acne are worse in the spring/summer due to the increase in UVA/UVB. A high zinc, acne friendly sunscreen really helps, as does a hat whenever outdoors;
- Prevent and treat acne actively. The pigment is called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation or PIH which just means that the inflammation of the acne activates pigment temporarily (months);
- Layer your protection: Use a sunscreen like above, and oil free makeup with SPF and a mineral powder over that – just make sure it’s not making your acne worse;
- Treat the spots. Buy the over-the-counter 2% hydroquinone “bleaching creams” and apply with a Q-tip just to the spots. Remember some people get worse with hydroquinones so watch for that and stop the product, if you thinks that happening;
- Remember other things fight pigment also like a good antioxidant under your sunscreen. Try a try a 3-in-one product or a less expensive 10-20% vitamin C serum.
If you want a more complete pigment treatment regimen, here’s what to look at.
Hope this helps, Dr. I