How do we get the skin tone/color on our face, neck and chest to match up?
I’m glad you brought this up! And of course, you’re right………..it looks odd when these three areas don’t match and in healthy, “un sun damaged”…..they do look the same.
The problem is usually the different amount of sun and sunburns each area has had over the years. Just look at that small protected area on the neck just under the chin, if you have doubts about this. Skin tends to develop slightly more yellow, reddish or brown tones (depends on your base skin type) with age even in sun protected areas.
Here’s what to do:
- Think of these three areas as a unit and plan to treat them all to try to restore your natural skin color to all three areas (hint – look at the skin on your breasts);
- Your may need different approaches to each area. For example, the neck just a little non surgical tightening, the chest IPL and Fraxel if lots of red and brown, and the face IPL or pulsed dye laser, if just red;
- This can clearly take some time and money, so create a 2-3 years plan if needed and just take it slowly – you’ll get there!
- The more sun damage and the older you are, the less you can rely on skincare products and peels to help, and the more you will usually need to consider lasers to make a real difference;
- Use good skincare products on your neck and chest and you MUST cover up or sunscreen with a a high zinc product, every single day.
Hope this helps! Dr. I