I have acne around my mouth. Can a dermatologist help?

I am 28 female and have had trouble with acne around the area above the lips and chin area. It seems to "flare" up during the menstruation cycle each month. I\'ve tried different products but some I can\'t use because it dries my skin. Is this something that can be helped if I see a dermatologist?

Yes, yes, and yes!!!    A good dermatologist should be able to help you with this.  Sometimes, the problem is the hormone spikes that occur in women around the time of our periods.  Sometimes, there are retained plugs in the pores (comedones) that flare up in the same spot each month.  Removing the comedones will help.  There are too many ways to treat this to go into it here but there are a lot of options now so please go.  See my in depth guide to acne for more information.  Dr. I

Dr. Brandith Irwin, MD

Ask me your skincare question!

Hi, I’m Dr. Irwin, and I believe that consumers need and deserve a medically trained and unbiased skincare advocate.

  • All our content is written and researched by myself and my trained staff.
  • My medical office in Seattle has experience treating thousands of patients.
  • This site is not affiliated or financially tied to any product line.
Ask Me Something
SkinTour Skincare
One of the best investments in your skin is your daily skincare. Why? Because you can prevent many problems with blotchy skin color, lack of glow, texture, some types of acne, and fine lines with good skincare products. You can also correct some of these problems with effective skincare products. Great skincare is often more expensive because quality ingredients are expensive. Some companies spend on research/development which benefits all of us and adds to the cost. Are they worth it? In general - yes!