My neck! I’m happy with my face but is there anything nonsurgical for the neck?
I have many patients who are interested in improving their necks but happy with their faces. And I agree with you that the risks of surgery, since it’s really a full facelift, may not be worth it. Having said that, nonsurgical technology for the neck is improving, but not as good as we all would like it to be. Don’t overlook the obvious though which is a good moisturizer and sunscreen.
Here’s what’s realistic:
- Look at the new Excilis Elite – it uses radiofrequency – I will be posting a new article on this technology soon.
- Fractionated CO2 laser like the DEKA DOT. MUST be done by laser experts, the neck is tricky – good to excellent improvement in 2-4 treatments spaced several months apart. Learn more about the fractionated CO2 laser.
- Thermage – can be very helpful on the face for certain individuals but don’t bother with it on the neck. In my opinion, it doesn’t work well on the neck.
- IPL – works well on the neck for color problems only like redness or brown spots. It does nothing or little for wrinkles or tightening.
- Fraxel – at 70, not a good option. At 40, for just a little crepiness, a reasonable choice – 1–2 treatments needed.
- Botox – helps for prominent platysmal bands or “necklace lines” only.
Hope this helps, Dr. I
Learn more about anti-aging and wrinkle creams.
See my recommendations on sunscreens.
More information on neck skin issues.