Options for rosacea – anything new, what now?
Accutane is not a good option for rosacea redness. I feel like I need more information about that laser treatment(s) but here are some things to think about:
1. Always maximize your topicals like Metrocream, Noritate, Finacea, etc. They won’t make you look less red in the short term but they help keep the disease from progressing in the long term. And, try to just use oral antibiotics for flare ups if you can;
2. Consider trying the new over the counter product SkinMedica Calmplex – it has a new antiinflammatory ingredient and is not a steroid cream;
3. Never use steroid creams on rosacea – they make it look better in the short run but make it worse over time;
4. Really, really think about your possible dietary triggers – i.e. too much coffee, alcohol, certain types of alcohol, spicey foods, not enough yogurt or probiotics – there is some link between digestive health and rosacea that we don’t fully understand;
5. With lasers, set your expectations accurately. If you are really red you will need 3-5 treatments to start and 1-3 a year to maintain.
Hope this helps, Dr. I