A skin care routine for body: How to protect and maintain healthy skin
The itchy, dry winter skin is very common, but totally fixable with the right habits, products and care! I have to say though, that if you live in a very dry, cold climate, it means a bit of work. 🙂
A good skin care routine for body:
- Shorter showers or baths are good (3-10 minutes), but hotter water is more drying
- Gentle lotion cleanser (like Cerave) or gentle soap (like Dove for sensitive skin) only the armpits, groin and head and neck area only. Don’t “soap” the limbs or trunk – you need your natural oils
- Once or twice a week, soak 5-10 min in an Epsom salts (2 -4 cups in the bath) or other mineral salt bath – helps to remove the outer dead layer of skin
- Once or twice a week, GENTLY exfoliate your body with a wash cloth or gentle loofah. A harsher salt scrub may be used once a month.
- Every day and every time you get out of the bath or slower, lube lube lube your entire body with cream or lotion. I like organic ones for this but they can be expensive. Try the Cerave Cream or Cetaphil Cream or Vanicream for more budget alternatives.
- Creams are better for dry skin than lotions. I recommend SkinMedica Replenish Hydrating Cream.
Oils can be good also, like this Pevonia Dry Oil Body Moisturizer that I really like for dry skin, and isn’t greasy (wont get your clothes oily).
- If you are very dry, use creams like Amlactin, Lachydrin or glycolic based body moisturizers.
If you get a rash, it’s generally because you are over scrubbing or allergic to something in the cream. If it’s not gone in a day or two after stopping , see your doctor!
Hope this helps, Dr.