What skincare is good for protecting and maintaining skin on the body??
The itchy, dry winter skin is very common, but totally fixable!! Have to say though that if you live in a very dry, cold climate …………it means a bit of work. 🙂
Here’s what works best:
- Shorter showers or baths are good (3-10 minutes), but hotter water is more drying
- Gentle lotion cleanser (like Cerave) or gentle soap (like Dove for sensitive skin) only the armpits, groin and head and neck area only. Don’t “soap” the limbs or trunk – you need your natural oils
- Once or twice a week, soak 5-10 min in an Epsom salts (2 -4 cups in the bath) or other mineral salt bath – helps to remove the outer dead layer of skin
- Once or twice a week, GENTLY exfoliate your body with a wash cloth or gentle loofah. A harsher salt scrub may be used once a month.
- Every day and every time you get out of the bath or slower, lube lube lube your entire body with cream or lotion. I like organic ones for this but they can be expensive. Try the Cerave Cream or Cetaphil Cream or Vanicream for more budget alternatives.
- Creams are better for dry skin than lotions. Oils can be good also.
- If you are very dry, use creams like Amlactin, Lachydrin or glycolic based body moisturizers.
If you get a rash, it generally is because you are over scrubbing or allergic to something in the cream. If not gone in a day or two after stopping , see your doctor!
Hope this helps, Dr.