7 Ideas for flight attendants and anyone who flies a lot.
Ok ….so we all know at some level that time on a airplane at 30,000 feet isn’t the greatest for us. It doesn’t help that most planes have zero or very low humidity and we’re crossing time zones. Our bodies really don’t know quite what to do, since air travel has only been around about 100 years of our 200,000 years of existence.
So here are some things to think about and ideas to feel and look better when you get off that plane.
- Cabin air, alcohol and coffee are dehydrating
- It’s closed space with a lot of humans. Wash your hands a lot and lotion, but avoid hand sanitizers (too drying)
- Sleeping pills take their toll. They can be disorienting, and can alter mental sharpness (acuity).
- Especially if over 50, staying in one position for long time can create blood clots in the legs which can kill you!
Strategies for Health and Beauty on a Plane
- Hydration, hydration, hydration. Drink about 1 glass of water or herbal tea for each hour of flight. Going to the bathroom every couple of hours gets you up walking and helps to prevent blood clots.
- For long flights, consider vitamin water or packets. Some people swear by antioxidants like Emergency C on long flights.
- Wash hands frequently…… but then use a lotion or cream sample that you keep in your flight bag. Cerave or any thick cream is good. I keep a Jack Black lip ointment in my bag and use that for my hands too!
- For clot prevention, walk or contract your muscles in your legs and hips in your seat every 1-2 hours. Consider taking a preflight aspirin, unless you’re on blood thinners already. Talk to your doctor!
- Every 2-4 hours, when in the bathroom, do a gentle forward bend or touch your toes for 1 minute. It brings the circulation back to your face.
- Every 3-4 hours, in the restroom, rinse your face with plain water on a paper towel, and reapply two layers of your favorite cream (I like this one by Pevonia on flights) . If you have make-up on and you don’t want to disturb it, spritz lightly with an Evian or mineral H20 spray, pat more moisturizer on over that, and a little make-up. Just transfer some of your favorite into a small container.
- Sleep is good, unless you your don’t drink water or move!
Try all these and you’ll be surprised at how much better you look and feel getting off a long flight!