A problem with darker skin in the pubic area and groin.

Hello Dr. Are the darkened skin in the pubic area and under arm also called melasma and do the medications for melasma such as renova, hydroquinon, and peeling work for those skins? I am an Asian woman and my skin in those areas are 3-4 degrees darker than the olive skin in the rest of my body and i feel embarrassed.Thank you for your help and advice

Please see my response just prior but I also wanted to tell you that you are not alone!  Many women (and some men) have this also and are concerned about it.  I know this doesn’t always help you feel better when you are feeling embarassed about it, but if you see a good doctor who is familiar with this problem, you should be able to get some relief with treatment.  Dr. I

Dr. Brandith Irwin, MD

Ask me your skincare question!

Hi, I’m Dr. Irwin. I believe that consumers deserve a medically trained and unbiased skin care advocate.

  • All our content is written and researched by myself.
  • My medical office in Seattle has treated thousands of patients for 15+ years.
  • This site is not affiliated or financially tied to any product, treatment or device.
Ask Me Something
SkinTour Skincare
One of the best investments in your skin is your daily skincare. Why? Because you can prevent many problems with blotchy skin color, lack of glow, texture, some types of acne, and fine lines with good skincare products. You can also correct some of these problems with effective skincare products. Great skincare is often more expensive because quality ingredients are expensive. Some companies spend on research/development which benefits all of us and adds to the cost. Are they worth it? In general - yes! I have handpicked some of what I consider to be the best skin care products, and offer them for sale on SkinTour's shop. This is based on my team and I's testing and research at our clinic. Many of the products are in my own regimen. What could be better than using skin care products a dermatologist uses?!