Can I repair damage to the lipid layer of my skin?
It takes about 30 days after a skin injury for the outer layer (the epidermis) to repair itself. And your skin will be dryer and more sensitive during that time. Even products for sensitiive skin can be irritating,. Any product you try during this period…….IF IT BURNS, STINGS, or SEEMS DRYING should be stopped. Also, many products have chemicals in them that may be irritating. Link to sensitive skin products.
Here are some thoughts:
- Read the labels, short lists are good, and long chemical names not so great.
- Try cleansing with just a light moisturzier for a few weeks – something like this Eminence organic oil free moisturizer might work well.
- Avoid propylene glycol in products and sulfates.
- Look for products that have ceramides (natural oil compounds in them). Cerave (drugstore) can be good. This Replenish Hydrating Cream is bland and can be helpful.
- Reapply your moistuizer 4-5 times a day while letting your skin heal.
- On that T-zone, you may not need these products there and can use your regular acne products because there is more natural oil there.
Hope this helps, Dr. I