Dark knees and elbows – is there a solution?
There is no miracle cure for this and plastic surgery is not advised – it would just tend to come back. Also, have you seen your doctor to make sure you don’t have psoriasis?? In some skin types psoriasis looks more brown than red.
Here are some ideas:
- Never, ever scrub, rub, exfoliate, or other let anything rub on these areas!! It will make the problem worse;
- Do protect them with a lot of cream and lube. It the skin is thickened at all, a 20-40% urea cream may be help like X-Viate. It softens and lubricates very well.
- You can try a hydroquinone cream 4% for 3 months. If it hasn’t helped by then, it won’t be helpful. And….remember that some people get irritated with hydroquinones and it can make the problem worse, if so;
- Try using an antioxidant like a 20% Vitamin C serum and a gentle, plant based lightener like Lytera.
- Always keep covered (away from light) or have a high zinc sunscreen on the areas.
- Be patient – it takes 3-6 months to see a difference.
Hope this helps, Dr. I