Dark spots on the face – how to get rid of them??
These dark spots are complicated so here’s a way to get started:
- If you haven’t had a doctor/dermatologist check them, go and do that first. Some dark spots are skin cancers!
- Please remember that no cream that currently exists is going to be a “home run” for these. We all wish otherwise!
- The most effective creams in the U.S. and the rest of the world contain hydroquinones with a percentage around 4%. These are prescription only in the U.S. In my opinion, these are safe to use for 3-6 months but shouldn’t be used daily on a long term basis. The European Union has banned these due to rather sketchy data in mice. Also, hydroqinones make some people worse. More on HQs here.
- There is a lot of research on plant based lightening creams and they are continuing to slowly improve. See Advanced Pigment Corrector and Lytera.
- Estrogens natural or taken orally, or by an other method can create or complicate brown spots – more on melasma here.
- Brown spots due to sun damage may respond best to certain lasers like the Fraxel Dual or an IPL.
Hope this helps, Dr. I