Why doesn’t laser hair removal work sometimes?
Hair follicles are more complicated than you might think. I was just reading some research on them recently. They are quite complex little biological units. 🙂
Assuming you’ve had 5-6 treatments spaced 4-8 weeks apart, then here are some thoughts:
- Hair follicles are under hormonal control and the # and type of hormone receptors differs on different parts of the body
- Could you be having hormonal irregularities that might affect your facial hair like irregular periods, change in your pattern, etc.?
- Hair thickness matters. A great laser nurse will adjust various parameters on a laser like pulse width, total joules, etc. depending on the hair color and quality. A mediocre provider (usually minimally trained techs) won’t be able to do that.
- If you are seeing a reduction in the diameter in hairs themselves on your face (finer hair after the laser treatments), then it IS working but more slowly, and you just may need more treatments.
- No hair removal modality – no matter what it is – is perfect. Not every hair will be removed.
- If you think you may be having hormonal problem or have acne plus increased hair growth, be sure to see your doctor. There are problems that can increase hair growth like polycystic ovaries (PCO), or endometriosis or metabolic syndrome, and many others!!
Hope this helps, Dr. I