Fixing a frowning mouth!

What is the best treatment to correct the turning down of your mouth as you age? Does Botox help this any, or would just a filler be best? And how many units of Botox are generally injected in each site of injection? I am trying to calculate cost. Teresa

Botox should never be used in the lower face except by an expert injector because it can cause facial drooping (like a stroke only temporary) or problems with chewing and drooling. I will sometimes put a tiny drop of it in the muscle that pulls the corners of the mouth down ( the depressor anguli ori).

Fillers are a much better solution for this. Generally Juvederm/Juvederm Ultra Plus or Restylane/Perlane are used.  Cost depends on your age and how much loss of support you have around your mouth. One to two syringes would be the average.  Dr. B

Dr. Brandith Irwin, MD

Ask me your skincare question!

Hi, I’m Dr. Irwin. I believe that consumers deserve a medically trained and unbiased skin care advocate.

  • All our content is written and researched by myself.
  • My medical office in Seattle has treated thousands of patients for 15+ years.
  • This site is not affiliated or financially tied to any product, treatment or device.
Ask Me Something
SkinTour Skincare
One of the best investments in your skin is your daily skincare. Why? Because you can prevent many problems with blotchy skin color, lack of glow, texture, some types of acne, and fine lines with good skincare products. You can also correct some of these problems with effective skincare products. Great skincare is often more expensive because quality ingredients are expensive. Some companies spend on research/development which benefits all of us and adds to the cost. Are they worth it? In general - yes! I have handpicked some of what I consider to be the best skin care products, and offer them for sale on SkinTour's shop. This is based on my team and I's testing and research at our clinic. Many of the products are in my own regimen. What could be better than using skin care products a dermatologist uses?!