Healing after Fraxel or other lighter lasers
Again… you all ask the best questions! First, your clinic should have given you both expectations and written instructions for your skincare for the first 2-4 weeks after your laser treatment. Did they? If not, please contact them. But, generally here are some ideas. I’ll answer the above in reverse order.
Too many skincare products?
If you go to Vegas (Happy 40th!), I’m excited for you, BUT no sun on your face or the melasma will get worse again!! Take a big brimmed hat. There’s no true cure for melasma, just good control.
- After any laser or peel, you want to think bland and minimal products for 1-4 weeks. Your doctor should specify.
- You must use a high zinc sunscreen (15-20%) for at least a month afterwards. Here’s a tinted one too. And forever is better with melasma!
- Start with a good moisturizer, a gentle plant based lightening cream, or a prescription hydroquinone, and a great sunscreen (see above)!
- After those, you can add a new product in – one at a time – and one week apart. That way, if you get irritated or have a reaction, you’ll know which one it is.
- Talk to whoever gave you all those samples about which ones to add first. Your skincare should be customized for YOU, not just a bunch of samples thrown at you.
It’s so great that you’re moving forward on this in a positive direction! 🙂
What to expect after a Fraxel, Fraxel Lite or Clear & Brilliant laser treatment:
- All these are by the same company. Fraxel Lite is done with the Fraxel but at about 1/2 the energy settings. Clear & Brilliant is essentially the same under a different marketing name.
- Yes – most brown spots get “speckled” and a little darker temporarily. Those will resolve generally in 3-7 days.
- Your texture will feel rough and sandpapery for about 4-8 days.
- Let’s just go low tech on the exfoliation. Usually it’s fine, after 1 week, to use a washcloth once a day to gently get the dead cells to slough with a non-drying cleanser.
- You must use a high zinc sunscreen (15-20%) for at least a month afterwards. And forever is better!
- More moisturizer is generally need for a month.