Help!!! Super duper dry skin
Love the way you said that! So………… here’s some stuff to think about. Sometimes dry skin is just………welll……..that. A combo of winter weather with central heating on, living in a dry climate or just being over 40. But sometimes it’s other things and here’s what to think about:
- Do NOT soap your whole body or use it on your face. Soap armpits and groin only unless you’ve been rolling in mud. Water’s fine and you must LUBE with lotion after each bath, shower, etc. Use a gentle lotion cleanser on your face and neck – good one here.
- There is a mild genetic condition called ichthyosis (mean fish scale) vulgaris, look it up and you might have that. Just follow instruction above but use a product like OTC Amlactin on your arms and legs, in addition.
- Are you an atopic?? That gene codes for allergies, asthma, eczema & hayfever and runs in families. Atopics tend to be dry AND have usually sensitive skin as well.
- Is your thyroid out of whack? Have your primary care doc test it?
- Are you taking medications that are drying? Many antihistamine, anti cholesterol meds, and some antidepressants can make skin dry.
- Don’t over scrub your skin – many people with dry skin over scrub which irritates the skin and makes it dryer!
Here’s a good start! 🙂 Dr. I