How do you keep dry skin moisturized/hydrated all day while still using makeup foundation?
Yes, I see your point! 🙂 You have two goals: you want to keep your dry skin moisturized, while keeping your makeup intact. Great question. Well, this requires a strategy.
1. Layering your products and moisturizer in the morning fends off dry skin till midday
A thin layer of each of these works. You don’t need a lot of any product. Even light coverage works!
- Start with a clean face after a gentle cleanser that doesn’t strip oil off
- Second layer should be your hyaluronic acid serum (helps hold moisture in skin)
- Next is your antioxidant. If you’re dry, try the Replenix polyphenol cream.
- Next is your moisturizer, but use one that endures. Try either the Replenish hydrating or the Pevonia Marine. Or, any other one that you love that’s very hydrating.
- Then apply your sunscreen. Try this one by Dermaquest, or the Image untinted, SPF 30.
- Then put on your makeup foundation.
2. Touch up hydration and foundation midday
The above morning routine should keep your dry skin hydrated, and hold you until at least noon-1:00, if not all day. Try that routine alone, and see how long you last personally. If your skin needs a midday pick-up, try spritzing your face lightly with a spray mineral water like the Evian Facial Spray (I found it for sale at Ulta, here), or a little more sunscreen. Then apply a little more foundation, just in areas where you need it. Bring a touch up compact, or a smaller size of your favorite liquid foundation in you bag. There’s no way to keep perfect makeup all day, and you’ll likely be touching up a little at midday anyways. So now you can add a hydrating step into the mix. That, with your new morning routine should help your dry skin stay moisturized! You can checkout some more of my answers to reader’s questions about dry skin here.
Hope this helps, Dr. I