Is a medium depth peel safe for african-american, hispanic, or asian skin (Types IV,V,VI)
It could be ……..but it really depends on the skill and experience of the doctor/provider doing the peel. There is more potential in darker skin types for starting or aggravating pigment problems. More on peels and peel problems.
Also, it’s important to think about whether or not a different pre and/or post treatment skincare regimen needs to be used. Things to consider:
- Should a hydroquinone cream be used pre or post treatment and if so, what strength and for how long?
- A high zinc, UVA blocking sunscreen should always be used, pre and post treatment in my opinion
- The length of pre and post peel sun avoidance
- Other skin prep that may make the peel more successful
- Is there acne present and or other skin diseases like melasma?
I think you see my point because you really may need to be careful and hopefully do it under a doctor’s supervision.
Hope this helps,