Is it ok to use the dual fraxel laser for melasma and brown spots
Okay – so this is a much more complicated question than you think which is why you need a good dermatologist to work with you. Here are the things I would want to know.
- What is your underlying skin type? The darker you are, the riskier a dual fraxel will be.
- What time of year are you thinking about doing this?
- How bad is your melasma?
- Has everything else for melasma control been optimized first?
- If you’ve had any prior lasers, what were your reactions to those?
- How much light exposure do you have on a weekly basis and can that be controlled for at least a month afterwards?
I think you see where I’m going with this. I believe that the first principle of medicine, especially for cosmetic procedures, is …… “First do no harm.” (Hippocratic Oath). My concern is that, unless all these other factors are taken into account, the laser could make you worse. It’s a good idea to talk this through carefully with your doctor and not rush into it. Hope this helps! Dr. I