Is There a Cure for Melasma? Is it self-limiting? What about pregnancy?
Great questions since there are many myths about melasma! Also, it’s one of the most frustrating skin problems for patients and doctors because there is no true cure ….yet! There’s just great control. In answer to the above:
- Remember it’s a combination of female hormones and sun. The sun part is the most controllable and UVA (not B) is most important. You must use high zinc sunscreens and double or triple sunscreen the area in high sun situations.
- “Bleaching” creams have usually a temporary effect and the problem often recurs after stopping them. See link to a good melasma skin care regimen.
- If you’ve had melasma In the past, pregnancy almost always makes it worse. Be extra careful and always wear a brimmed hat. First time melasma with pregnancy will sometimes fade close to completely if not aggravated with sun.
- There are no foods that we know of that help (wouldn’t it be great if there were?:))
- Lasers except in expert hands are not a good idea. The problem often get better initially and then worse again.
Hope this helps! Dr. I