Is there any fix for dark elbows and knees?
I have to admit there is no perfect solution for this but there is improvement. Here’s how:
- Skin, if it’s rubbed, will generally thicken and darken. Try to avoid rubbing – so no loofah or any scrubs in the shower, no crawling on the floor and be careful about rubbing the elbow on table tops.
- The hydroquinone creams used for melasma – more info here – will help.
- A moisturizer that gently encourages sloughing like Amlactin or the Neostrata 10-15% lotion may help.
- No exposure to the sun without a zinc (at least 10%) sunscreen. Sun causes pigment.
- Alpha or beta hydroxy peels if not too aggressive may help.
- The Fraxel Dual laser may be helpful (go to a board certified dermatologist if you are interest in this option)
- Remember that any of these could make the problem worse if they cause irritation. Stop any product if you’re not sure and see your doctor!
Hope this helps,