Sunburns – How to Limit the Damage
Okay…… so you just forgot, or got caught out longer than you meant to. Or, in the case of my 15-year old son, maybe you missed a big spot. Now what?
Can you help a sunburn to heal faster? To some extent yes. Here are some tricks.
- Start taking your NSAID of choice (like ibuprofen) right away – the anti-inflammatory effect will limit the discomfort and the redness.
- Ice it if it feels hot!
- You must cover it up – sunscreens are not adequate in this situation.
- Use over-the-counter hydrocortisone on it 3-4 times a day for 3 days – also an anti-inflammatory.
- If you have Biafine (prescription cream anti-inflammatory), use that too.
- After the first 3 days, just protect it from all sun (clothing again) and lube with a lot of moisturizer.