Can under eye lasers get rid of dark circles?
Thank you for asking whether under eye lasers get rid of dark circles! The answer to this depends on what is causing the dark circles in the first place and can be a combination. The most common causes of dark circles under the eyes are:
- Hereditary brown pigment around the eyes – look at the other members of your family. 🙂
- Blood vessels that are very close to the skin (slightly reddish purple), especially in lighter skin types
- Brown pigment that’s acquired – as in from rubbing, allergies, an irritating skin care product, etc.
- Loss or shifting of the fat pads around the eyes to create a hollow space under the eyes – causes a shadow
- Sun damage – blotchy or freckly brown spots
You will need a dermatologist to help you but here are some basic guidelines to consider:
- Eliminate anything that might be irritating the skin, control allergies, and never rub the delicate eye area skin
- Use an eye area safe sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses whenever you are outdoors or in the car
- Filler (experts only please) can be used (FDA off-label) around the under eye area to soften the hollows
- Lasers like the Fraxel and the CO2 fractionated lasers are generally best for brown pigment, but may require 3-6 treatments and have the potential to make the problem worse, if the laser and pre and post care are not carefully done. Internal eye shields (like a special contact lense) should be used.
- Lasers like the VBeam or IPL in the under eye area may be used carefully with appropriate internal eye shields (see above) for some blood vessels
Hope this helps with the question of whether under eye lasers get rid of dark circles, Dr. Irwin