What about IPL with Levulan for sun damage, aging and/or oil?
I am not a fan of this combination which has been around now and sometimes in the press for about 5 years now. Here’s why:
- It can produce severe facial burns if not done well or there is too much natural light exposure for the first 2-3 days after it;
- Those severe facial burns, if they occur, can cause scarring that is permanent;
- IPL systems are all very different and for that reason unpredictable….unless you have a nurse, doctor or PA-C doing it who does it all the time and is very skilled;
- The Levulan is applied as a liquid and then allowed to soak in for a certain number of minutes. The exact time matters and the exact amount absorbed is not possible to measure accurately;
- There are plenty of more predictable and safe ways to solve the same problem!
I’ll do PRP (platelet rich plasma) in another post soon. 🙂
Hope this helps, Dr. I