What to do when you have complications from a laser?
My heart goes out to you on this and I wish I could wave a ‘magic wand’ and make this go away.
Complications happen with lasers when:
- the laser settings are not right (too strong) for the person’s skin type or the wrong laser was used;
- the doctor/PA-C/nurse doing the laser treatment isn’t skilled or experienced (please don’t let ‘technicians’ who have no degree or aestheticians who have no medical education do laser work on you);
- infections occur post procedure – and they do
- the person/patient does not follow the pre and post care instructions carefully
- an allergic or irritant reaction occurs to one of the post procedure products – also a common problem
These are the main ones. Once a problem occurs, a good board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon will take a culture to make sure there is no infection (and these are not always obvious all the doctors who read this site!), see you in the office within a day or two of your call and start treatment right away. Time is important with laser problems.
Can you find a good board certified dermatologist in your area who does a lot of laser work and please see them??? If you need to travel to a larger city to find someone, I would recommend that ASAP. In general, dermatologists who do laser work are more experienced with it than plastic surgeons, but there are some exceptions.
Hope this helps, Dr. I