How to get the most from your vitamin A creams!
If you read a lot about skin care and products, then you’re very familiar with Vitamin A creams! Vitamin-A creams have been and are still the gold standard for sun damage repair and anti-aging. Plus, they help to prevent precancerous lesions and skin cancer. There’s nothing better available in a cream form. Everyone who can tolerate them should be using one! The Vitamin-A creams go by all sorts of names like Renova, Retin-A, Tazorac, tretinoin (generic Renova and Retin-A), and Retin-A Micro (all available by prescription only). Retinol is a weaker form available without a prescription. But there is one Retinol product that is almost as strong as the prescription form: SkinCeuticals Retinol 1.0, which I’ve reviewed on my shop here. When you buy a skincare product, you want to be sure you’re using it right to get the best results. Regarding tretinoin, Retin A, retinol, and other vitamin A creams (retinoids), here’s how to maximize the effects:
- Apply at night because light inactivates them.
- It’s fine to cleanse, apply your serum and/or moisturizer, and THEN apply the retinoid cream. This order will reduce irritation. Wait 5 minutes after the moisturizer before you apply.
- Retinoids are a natural exfoliant. You may not need any other exfoliant. Or if you do use one, use something very gentle.
- You really only need about a pea sized amount for your whole face.
- Also remember, You must use a daily sunscreen if you’re using Vitamin-A creams. There are a few new Image sunscreens in the shop (tinted and non-tinted) that we’re getting amazing feedback on from our patients and readers like you!
If you haven’t used a Vitamin A cream before, If you haven’t used them before, consider starting with the SkinMedica Retinol .25 first, then going to the NeoCutis Nouvelle+ (.6%), and then this SkinCeuticals 1.0.
Some of you might be too sensitive for retinoids and should use a combination of cell growth factors and antioxidants instead. See here for more of my reviews on some of my favorite skin care products for anti-aging and wrinkles.
Do you have questions about skin care or products? I’d love to hear them! You can write me here.
All the best,