Skin Care Tips for Dry Winter Faces
All of us get dryer as we get older, and winter makes it worse.
Here are some tips:
1) Never over wash – take your makeup off at night with a gentle cleanser and just use water in the morning, if you’re dry.
2) Double and triple layer your moisturizer. For example, use a hyaluronic acid base (like the SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel) to hydrate well, then apply a heavy moisturizer like the Vivite Replenish Hydrating Cream or La Mer, and then a moisturizing sunscreen (like EltaMD UV Daily or Eminence Tropical Vanilla Day Cream) before putting on your make-up. Vaseline works, but it’s just so nasty to use.
3) If you are dry by midday, try an Evian or other mineral H2O spritz and pat on a little more moisturizer over it.
4) Try facial oils cautiously – you really have to read the labels and avoid the ones that have dimethicone or other “cones” in them. Look for pure oils and use in a limited area at first. Avoid if you are oily or acne prone and ignore the marketing hype saying oils “regulate” your oil. They don’t regulate your oil, your hormones do.
5) Don’t over scrub. If you are red or flaky, over scrubbing will make it worse by irritating the skin.