Why I’m absolutely against permanent injectables in the face, including Bellafill, Artefill and silicone
It’s tempting to think, “wouldn’t permanent be great?” when it comes to solutions for smile lines, frown lines, etc. And who doesn’t like the marketing promise these permanent injectables offer: no maintenance. Well, these products and their effects are not that simple. Bellafill and Artefill (not marketed here anymore) are tiny plastic beads injected into the skin. They can cause irritation. They can cause reactions even after 5-10 years, for which there’s no remedy except surgery. And if not injected well, they can cause disfigurement. Similar complications are possible with silicone.
Here are the problems with permanent injectables:
- If not injected perfectly, they can be permanently disfiguring
- These products can “activate” unpredictably and turn into red, tender lumps. Sometimes this occurs years later. There is no way to remove these except cut them out.
- There is no way to adjust them as your face ages. They often look quite nice for several years, but as aging occurs, they can’t be moved or changed.
- Many reputable doctors will not inject near or over these products because there is a risk of activating them.
- Consents for these products are often glossed over with patients not being fully informed before being treated. Never feel pressured to do a treatment the same day as a consult.
Hope this helps, Dr. I